Saturday, August 9, 2008

In Versailles, and Doped Up (on legal stuff)

Bright and early on Sunday, so painfully bright and early it was almost night and late, we met downstairs to make our way to Versailles. Since it was going to take both a metro and an RER ride, and I assumed correctly there would be no AC, I took a couple of dramamine to avoid any unfortunate motion sickness.

The goal was to get there as early as possible to avoid the mass of tourists (because like all tourists, we hate tourists). Our plans were unfortunately foiled when we got there 30 minutes before opening to find ten tour buses worth of Japanese, German, and Spanish tourists already loitering around the gates.

We started off with a tour of the main building, and with the dramamine starting to take untimely effect. The palace was incredibly ornate and filled with large paintings featuring the king's legs (he considered them his best feature). The hall of mirrors was amazing, and the furniture and trimmings decked out to the extreme. No wonder there was a revolution. What with all the money spent on tights and pillow shams. (But seriously, the place is impressive).

But the rooms were so incredibly crowded, the temperature so high, and the dramamine so sleep-making, Don had to kind of push me from room to room. I was slightly falling asleep while standing, and starting to get that cranky feeling that I get when I get dizzy. I was ready to start pushing germans down the stairs.

Best part were the windows, as some of them were mercifully open and the fresh air was helping to keep me awake. And the views of the gardens were beautiful. But I was very happy when, 3 hours later and having seen Marie Antoinette's protrait, everyone was ready to exit and go for lunch.

No comments: