Friday, July 11, 2008

Les Sucettes

In the quest to improve our french, we decided to do something cultural and go to a movie. Considering the level of french that most of us know, we chose an action comedy, rather than a drama. Since not much happens in french dramas, we figured we'd have a better chance of understanding the plot if we actually saw car crashes and bullets and dead people.

There was a new Eric & Ramzy movie out, and since I left last year without seeing their 2007 masterpiece "Steak" (and who wouldn't want to see something called "Steak"?) I was slightly excited to see "Seuls Two". It was either that or "Made of Honor" dubbed into french.

On the way, we walked past a candy shack on Rue St. Germain, and it looked so inviting we stopped to stock up for the movie. I don't think I've ever paid so much for a gummi product before in my life, but they did have a great selection of candies. Other than the assortment of jellies, they had nougats, chocolates, weird looking marshmellow ropes, and tons of candied nuts. It did make you want to try a little of everything.

As for the movie? Totally sucked! Eric & Ramzy just kind of ran around and crashed cars and foamed at the mouth a lot. And they're just a little bit racist. But we did get to use our student discount and the candy was awesome. Some highlights:

Black licorice Gummi Bears. For some reason, in France they're extra squishy. How can one put a price on Gummi Smurfs? I felt like Gargamel every time I ate a Gummi Smurfette or a Gummi Vanity Smurf.
My one non-gummi purchase. Very old-fashioned looking chocolate hens and rabbits. I was worried they were left over from Easter, but they were still fresh.

No comments: